About Pranav Parijat Trust - A Parent Institution
As an Urban region, SURAT in the mid-twentieth century was a sleepy, slow-moving small time business centre. But its people had a distinct character in so far as they loved to enjoy life in all its worldly as well finer manifestations including art, music, literature and cultural festivals.
- As an expression of their zest for Indian classical music, an organization named Swar Sangam was founded by Late Dr. Ravindranath Dixit, Late shree Surendra Shethji, Late Shree Dinkar Nazar, etc. It provided a platform for renowned music maestros and budding artistes of promise and potential to perform before the Indian Classical Music lovers of Surat.
- Ever since then Surat has expanded not only in population, business and industry but also in activities for the promotion of various forms of fine arts. Of the organizations for the promotion of Indian Classical Music, one noteworthy name is that of Pranav Parijat Trust, which, perhaps, is the latest, but not the least notable among them.
- The uniqueness of the Pranav Parijat Trust lies in the fact that it is Shri Sunil Kanaiyalal Modi’s personal venture. It was founded and funded by this businessman turned artiste in 1999. Also the uniqueness of its founder Shri Sunil Kanaiyalal Modi lies in the fact that having started his career as a college teacher, Shri Sunil Modi engaged himself in the business of a share broker’s firm inherited by him from his father.
- As a matter of fact Sunil Modi had love for music even as a young boy. In the child hood he took initial training from Kalaguru Late Shree Prtabhuram Gandharva , Late Shree Pannalal Gandharva , Late shree Harikrishna Gandharva. He learned intensive training from Late Pt. Mahadevbhai Shastry – Sharma, a disciple of Sangeet Martand Pt. Omkarnath Thakur.
- His true artiste in him flowered somewhat late in life. Having handed over reins of Business in charge of his sons, Sunil Modi pursued his deep-rooted interest in Indian Classical Music and started taking training at the age of 55 , under the able guidance of Shri Ganpatram Kapadia. He did not hesitate to sit as his Guru’s disciple along with learners much younger than himself. As a result of his dedication and disciplined training and riaz he obtained the degree of Sangeet Pravin (Vocal) which is equivalent to a doctoral degree in other branches of knowledge.
- In starting Pranav Parijat Trust with an initial corpus of Rs. 21 LACS ( Rs. Twenty one Lakh ) which was donated by his wife Smt. Rohini Modi and established Pranav Parijat Trust under the Indian Trust Act. His main aim of starting this trust to do something for the cause of North Indian Classical Music. The trust is motivating young talent and giving opportunities to perform before connoisseurs so that their confidence develops. Thus, it can be said that Pranav Parijat Trust is primarily a performers’ platform where budding talents in Indian Classical music get opportunities to give concerts.
- Indian classical music is so profound and so vast that an artiste, however talented, cannot attain perfection without due exposure to the art of great masters in the field. With that greater objective in mind, Shri Sunil Modi, under the auspices of Pranav Parijat Trust, organizes concerts of better known artistes for young artistes as well as music lovers for free.
- Pranav Parijat Trust is also arranging cultural festivals of garba, folk dances, ras, and literature. Also the trust arranges seminars, training camps and workshops and regular classes for the benefit of students of Indian Classical Music. Besides it also extends financial assistance to students unable to bear the cost of training so that growing talent may not get smothered for want of monetary means.
- In all this Sunil Modi has been fortunate in getting support and co-operation of his family, his wife, his sons, daughters in law as well as friends like Dr.Rushi Kumar Shastri, well-known maestro and friend Mr.Dilip Marfatia, Advocate Hiten Dave, Mr Navneet Modi, who constitute the Board of Trustees of Pranav Parijat Trust.